[mythtv-users] Synology NAS as a backend?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 18:06:09 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The last thread I saw about this looks to be from 2010, so I'm
>> wondering if anyone has played with one of their newer NAS devices for
>> use as a standalone backend?
>>
>> I know commercial flagging may be a tough call on one, but with so
>> many recording devices these days being either ethernet or USB, and so
>> many posting about successful running of a backend on some of the
>> newer low powered machines, it would seem one of these might be up to
>> the task as well?
>>
>> They're not super cheap, but they are reasonably priced without drives
>> and very well constructed. They also run MySQL out of the box it
>> seems, which is one less battle.
>>
>> thoughts?
>>
>> --
>

> My .02 I have played and used quite a few and always found them to have many
> limitations with what I was wanting to do, I started rolling my own and have
> been using Open Media Vault (OMV), its from a developer that was originally
> on Freenas and started his own project based on debian and linux md raid.
>
> There are other alternatives and recently a new one rocstor based soley on
> btrfs that I am keeping an eye on since I think once Btrfs matures its going
> to be pretty good, I actually think its pretty close as it is now.
>
> I use OMV at home and businesses and it performs really well, if you know
> linux its easy to match your build to what YOU need instead of what they
> think you need.  As always YMMV, etc... :)

I understand there are open source options like OMV and FreeNAS, I've
got a "file server" currently running in an old case with 8 drives.
I'm looking to downsize both the number of drives (as drive density is
increasing), overall physical foot print, and as much as possible,
power use.
To do so I'd be looking at a minimal hardware outset of something like,
Mediasonic ProBox HF2-SU3S2 $100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26VV4/
+
ECS LIVA $110
http://www.amazon.com/ECS-Elitegroup-BAT-Mini-1-0-Desktop/dp/B00KX93WQW/

for $210 for a small, low power, albeit two component solution, or a
bit more for a small single case DIY solution.

Synology provides options like those below (or less for 2-bay
options), that are a bit smaller than the nicer cases I can find and
include a linux OS with their relatively impressive built in software
and an active community.
Synology America DiskStation 4-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage
(DS414) $470
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWUQY5I/
or
Synology America DiskStation 4-Bay Network Attached Storage (DS414j) $390
http://www.amazon.com/Synology-America-DiskStation-Attached-DS414j/dp/B00K6PCTCG/

So while I understand I'd be spending more money on one, the
advantages in other areas are potentially worth the money. Especially
if it can operate as a mythtv backend.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!