[mythtv-users] HD-PVR2 support (please vote)

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 03:23:20 UTC 2015

Hoi Rich,

Monday, August 10, 2015, 4:38:36 AM, you wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have sent Hauppauge several emails over the last several months asking for
>> development information for the HD-PVR2.  I explain that I am a MythTV
>> developer and would like to add support for it.  In each case their response
>> has been just a terse "It is still in beta".  They don't seem to have any
>> interest in a MythTV developer adding support for the device.

> I see it for sale on Amazon - clearly the hardware isn't in beta.

> I take it they don't just publish the specs on how it works?  I guess
> reverse-engineering would be a pain - I'm not sure how obfuscated
> existing driver software is.

> I'm not really super-excited about the idea of having binary blobs in
> mythtv.  At the very least it should be easy to strip them out when
> packaging it in a free-software-only config.  They should also be
> issued under a redistributable license unless they're separated from
> the rest of the sources so that we don't have to stop mirroring
> mythtv.

> Right now I have MythTV listed as licensed under GPL-2.  That seems
> pretty simple to me.  Why complicate things?

> None of this is a slight on Kernel Labs.  I'm sure they do good work.
> It just sounds like it wouldn't be FOSS.

> Would they be willing to accept payment to put the code in the
> mainline kernel instead?  I'm sure they'd want more money for the
> source, and that seems fair enough assuming people are willing to chip
> in.

> --
> Rich

You raise a valid point about the licence. It will influence the whole
of the licence Mythtv is distributed under. So it might be valid to
create the 'hooks' in mythtv under the normal licence and distribute
the 'blob' to be hooked in separately under its own licence.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop