[mythtv-users] Building mobile MythTV standalone system for RV

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 22:41:09 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 8:03 AM Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> On 2015-08-08 8:50 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'd like to build a standalone server/mobile solution for an RV.
> >
> > Any good suggestions/arguments for pro/con for ITX MB processors these
> days?
> >
> > Once upon a time it used to be the Atom with ION chipset -- but what's
> the way to go these days?
> >

> In a followup to this -- are the AMD APUs workable with MythTV considering
> linux drivers the ATI chipsets?
> (I see AMD is still struggling a little with Linux Drivers a little)
>
> Is a Celeron with low thrills/low cost nVideo card just as power frugal?

I bought one of these: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/fitlet-i/
to use as a high performance router running ipfire.  I bought the "AMD A10
Micro-6700T Quad core Radeon R6" version.

Out of curiosity, I did briefly install myth on it to see how it would work
as a frontend -- it did pretty well with the VDPAU SLIM profile.  vdpauinfo
showed that it could do 'DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL' but not
'DEINTERLACE_TEMPORAL_SPATIAL'.

I tried it hooked up to both a 720p TV as well as a 1080p TV.  In both
cases it looked good.  When I hooked it up to my 2560x1440 monitor, it
exhibited some tearing.

The CPU only consumes something like 4.5 watts.  It is fanless, but the
aluminium case gets HOT.  They claim that it is designed for the case to
get hot, and that it is not a problem.  I have never noticed any issues
with it running ipfire 24/7, but the case is too hot to touch for very long.

In summary, as long as you are not after top-of-the-line deinterlacing,
then AMD works fine.  One advantage is that you don't have to install any
proprietary drivers; the opensource drivers work fine.

John