[mythtv-users] A little help clarifying dummy tuners and HD ringbuffers

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 7 20:04:22 UTC 2015

On 08/07/2015 12:32 PM, Cody Hofstetter wrote:
> I like when things just work too, unfortunately that is not this case
> hahaha. I've never used Kodi before, what do you like more about it
> than the Myth front?

Hi Cody

There have been a lot of suggestions, I hope you are coming right.
Regarding helping with getting the wiki updated, please email me if you
are serious about helping out. I am working on it and it is a slow
process, so any help is appreciated.

I am using mythtv frontend on some suystems and kodi on others. I am
using Kodi on two Raspberry PI's on two TV sets. The advantage of Kodi
is that it runs on a Raspberry PI - so you can get a front end for
around $30 plus the cost of cables, power supply, remote, etc. It runs
really well. The kodi and mythtv frontends are used for live tv and
recordings. I have no cable boxes or DTA's (or other ways of watching
TV) in the house.

Not sure what your timeout could be - some suggestions -

In Setup, in Capture Cards, Recorder Options, Max Recordings make sure
they are set to 1 for each of the three tuners. Also in the same place
try increasing the Tuning Timeout.

Is your cable card properly paired at the cable company?

Make sure you have the latest HD Homerun Prime firmware. There was a
major enhancement with firmware 20150113beta2, so you should have that
or later.

Check the logs on the hd homerun prime. They may tell you if the channel
was tuned and whether it failed for some reason.

What about your network speed? When changing channels the network will
likely need enough capacity for two channels at once. Do you have a
gigabit network?

I don't think your HD ringbuffer size would cause this problem, I set
mine to 40000 to help with the problem of playback occasionally stopping
for a second or two and then continuing. Modern computers have huge
amounts of main memory so you are unlikely to cause swapping if you
increase this.

Peter