[mythtv-users] splitting analog coax

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Aug 5 22:42:28 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 08:07:45 PM Stephen Villano wrote:
> I've always used hex compression connectors, they last quite a long
> time before oxidation causes problems. I never retooled for the newer
> compression type, never made sense for something I'd use every 5 - 10
> years.

Now by "compression" you mean at the cable-in end of the connector right?
Because every non-10-Base2 coax connector I've ever used had a threaded cap
for the terminal end. I vaguely remember making a coax cable long ago by
hand and that had a cable-in end that used a screw-on compression fitting
and not a bit on metal crimped over the end of the cable. I just stopped in
at a Home Depot to look at cables and splitters and all their cables look
like they'd be screwed-on connectors, as are the cables I got from my ISP.

How can one tell?

Or... are you talking about new A/V gear that has connectors like the bad
old 10Base-2 days? I think they were called "barrel" connectors, with a
push-and-turn connection. Nice connection strategy, darkened by painful
memories of dealing with 10Base-2.

All the terminal posts on all my gear are threaded though: wall post,
cablemodem, and PVR-500s.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca