[mythtv-users] Intel Compute Stick as a frontend?

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 22:16:08 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 02:52:41PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> > <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> > > Given that we have not yet implemented deinterlacing with the VAAPI
> > > interface, i'm not surprised about this.
> >
> > I had thought that the current codes support bob (which mostly sucks).
> >
> > While the current codes are not capable of enabling the latest VAAPI
> > deinterlacing capabilities (MADI (Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing), and
> > MCDI (Motion Compensation Deinterlacing)), even when they do, I do
> > not think any of the current generation "sticks" do MCDI, so only
> > those with low expectations should get their hopes up.
>
> That is my understanding as well.

I'm not sure about the compute sticks, but isn't the Liva using an Ivy
Bridge part?  If I look at the code at
http://code.metager.de/source/xref/freedesktop/vaapi/driver/intel/src/i965_device_info.c
and go down to the section on the ivy bridge parts, I see

extern struct hw_context *gen7_dec_hw_context_init(VADriverContextP, struct
object_config *);
136extern struct hw_context *gen7_enc_hw_context_init(VADriverContextP,
struct object_config *);
137static struct hw_codec_info ivb_hw_codec_info = {

161    .has_accelerated_getimage = 1,
162    .has_accelerated_putimage = 1,
163    .has_tiled_surface = 1,
164    .has_di_motion_adptive = 1,
165    .has_di_motion_compensated = 1,

Which would seem to indicate that it would support motion compensated
deinterlacing.  I thought that the compute stick used a Bay Trail part,
which if I understand correctly is an ivy bridge with fewer processing
units.  I don't see that platform called out in the file, so I would have
assumed that it also supported MCDI.

I use a Liva, and while it looked a bit different that the old ION1 system
it replaced, I don't really notice any really bad deinterlacing issues, but
I don't tend to record a lot of sports.  If at some point the picture gets
even better, it will be a bonus in my book.

Bill