[mythtv-users] splitting analog coax

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:09:46 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
> By "cable modem" do you mean internet, if so normal practice as I've seen it
> is to split once and feed the modem (to maximize internet speed) then split
> as necessary for TV signals.

Agreed, that is the standard recommended practice(*), but it has
nothing to do with maximizing the speed, just insuring that
the signals are (more) likely to meet the requirements to deliver
reliable service at all(**).  Of course, as with all else, it depends on
the signal levels and quality you are receiving.

Typically, analogue NTSC tuners (which is what the PVR-500s
are, and I am surprised the OPs cable company still has sufficient
number of analogue channels to make it worthwhile, as most
have moved to digital, or have plans to do so real soon now)
have sufficient sensitivity of signal levels because they were
designed to support OTA antenna feeds, which have very low
signal levels, so even splitting a few times typically works.

(*) And typically, if you eventually have to get a cable company
tech out to work on the wiring, one of the things they will do is
insure it is done that way.

(**) Which, I guess, could be interpreted as maximizing the
speed, but not in the way I use the term(s).