[mythtv-users] export/import of selected MythTV data

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Aug 5 16:34:48 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, August 05, 2015 04:54:10 PM Stephen Worthington wrote:

> >Aside: I don't know how important it would be to users of pre-0.24
> >databases, and how many of them are out there, but paging through the
> >script that a DB backup really is, it seems to me that someone motivated
> >and enterprising could take mythconverg_backup.pl and the schema changes
> >between releases and create a mythconverg_convert.pl or somesuch that
> >built the script to create a database "backup" that matched the schema
> >for a psrticular release. After all, it's all just text.
>
> The code for the database upgrading is builtin as part of the MythTV
> software and works on the mysql database.  It detects the database
> schema version and has the code for doing all the schema upgrades to
> the current level, in sequence.  Changing it to work on the ASCII dump
> of a database would be a pretty major job, and there is no particular
> need for it.  It is *much* easier to modify databases using the
> existing mysql tools rather than having to write your own tools that
> work on dump files.

I understand how Myth does the upgrade. All I wanted to note is that if one
took the conversion code and Perl-ed it (I assume it's in C), then the DB-
reading side of mythconverg_backup.pl could use the conversions to make a
backup that would match what the targeted release would expect.

Not that I would do it, but it occurred to me that it's possible.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca