[mythtv-users] Myth backend lockup

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:44:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:39 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <
stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

> On 04/08/15 20:17, Tom Bishop wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com
> > <mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hoi Gary,
> >
> >     Tuesday, August 4, 2015, 8:58:18 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >     > On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com
> <mailto:bishoptf at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     >> Trying to find some ideas of where to start
> >
> >     > I do not recall any repeatably reports of lockups on 0.27, but
> >     > timing can be everything, and timing in a vm is often different,
> >     > which may expose some underlying problem.
> >
> >     > I would try to attach to the backend process with gdb and
> >     > "thread apply all bt" to see what is going on.
> >
> >     Is it a lockup or a crash? I know that in the past my mythbackend
> >     service sometimes disappeared. Since then I have a cron job checking
> >     every minute and restarting if needed. It hasn't happened in a long
> >     time, but I keep it there.
> >

> > I still see the process running but you cannot connect to the database,
> > if you try to bring up the mythweb etc, they timeout.  The logging just
> > stops when it has the issue, like I said the linux VM is up and running
> > and I can ssh to it etc.
> >

> I'd suggest that the next time it gets in this state use gcore to
> capture an application core. From that we might have half a chance
> of finding the cause
>
> Regards
> Stuart
>

> Not familiar with gcore but will read up and see what I need to do, I
think it has happened twice so far and usually I find out about it when the
family is wanting to watch TV, so there is usually little patience for me
to do much troubleshooting.

Thanks for the suggestion and will read up so I know what to do, thanks.