[mythtv-users] link-local and mythtv

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Aug 5 09:07:09 UTC 2015

> On Tue, 04 Aug 2015 19:47:20 +0100, you wrote:
>
>> Hi:  I'm sending this from a kubuntu/myth laptop using a BTWifi-with-FON
>> connection to a nearby hotspot, and have a link-local wired ethernet
>> connection to a TV for full-screen display by UPnP.  It works, but it
>> seems that I need to keep the TV permanently 'on,' and not on 'standby,'
>> to get full myth functionality when using the laptop screen.  I wonder
>> if there's a way round this.
>>
>> When things are working the backend shows
>>
>> 2015-08-04 18:54:44.142106 I  Listening on TCP 127.0.0.1:6544
>> 2015-08-04 18:54:44.142155 I  Listening on TCP 169.254.10.241:6544
>>
>> but if I run mythtv-setup.real with the TV in standby I see
>>
>> 2015-08-04 18:47:42.160183 C  ServerPool: Host is configured to listen
>> on 169.254.10.241, but address is not used on any local network interfaces.
>> 2015-08-04 18:47:42.160807 I  Binding to UDP 127.0.0.1:6948
>>
>> and starting the FE/BE in this condition doesn't connect.
>>
>> If, after a good start, I switch the TV back to standby, the
>> laptop-screen-based system seems to do most things, although I don't
>> know how far I could push this.  My cutting script hangs, right at the
>> end, waiting for mythpreviewgen; it completes with the TV on.
>>
>> I suppose what I'm wanting is a fallback to 127.0.0.1 if the link-local
>> device (needed for UPnP) isn't active.  Is there a way of getting this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John P
>
> I do not know of any automatic fallback method, and MythTV is
> unfortunately unable at present to listen on multiple IP addresses. If
> you are not using anything except a local mythfrontend on your laptop,
> then you should be OK using 127.0.0.1 for MythTV and that should not
> interfere with using the TV when it is on, as mythfronted does not
> actually run on the TV.  So the TV will just be getting the display
> data from the laptop without any reference to the software on the
> laptop creating the display data - it does not talk to MythTV, just
> the laptop display drivers or maybe X somewhere.
>
> Using static IP addresses for the laptop and TV will not work either,
> as ethernet ports in Linux that have nothing connected to them go
> down, and when down, the static IP address disappears.  If you have a
> small ethernet switch, then connecting the laptop and the TV to it and
> using static IP addresses should work, but then the switch would have
> to remain powered up, instead of the TV.

Thanks for that, Stephen.  But if I set 127.0.0.1, the TV will display
the UPnP server menu with titles of the recordings, but doesn't show
thumbnails or play recordings.  If I set 169.254.10.241, everything
works while the TV is 'on' but I get complaints or worse when it's in
standby.  The only connection between laptop and TV is an ethernet
crossover cable.

ifconfig, and mythtv-setup, also show a wlan0, the wifi hotspot, but I
don't think I should let myth use that.

No big deal, but I thought I would ask.

John