[mythtv-users] export/import of selected MythTV data

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Aug 5 01:26:24 UTC 2015

On Monday, August 03, 2015 07:13:20 PM Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 12:34:01 -0600, you wrote:
> >I am preparing to upgrade my MythTV 0.21 FE/BE to new hardware and
> >software, put off by the need to overcome the 0.24-ish upgrading cutoff
> >for older versions.
> >
> >I did look into making a Ubuntu VM and upgrading my database to to the
> >intermediate version in order to upgrade it to the latest version but I
> >really do not have much in the way of content to carry over - I can
> >convert what I have on the old box (down to under 50 recordings now) to
> >videos or make a note to re-record them. I don't have anything invested
> >in the other media areas like MythMusic so it seems like building a
> >fresh FE/BE is the best route for me.
>
> I would have thought that using a VM to upgrade the database would be
> much easier than trying to manually upgrade just a couple of tables.
> Upgrading the database is not insanely difficult or anything like
> that, as long as you read the release notes for each of the versions
> on the way between your current version and the latest.  And in a VM,
> you can just roll back anything that does not work and try again, as
> long as you have enough disk space to keep the previous version or are
> using the option that VMs like VirtualBox have to only save the
> changes to disk on shutdown, so you can abandon any changes that did
> not work.

I would have too, because that's what the consensus seems to be. And I've
tried it, in a KVM in Fedora 20, with Ubuntu 10.04 and MythTV 0.24-2 (I
think).

Now I don't know if it's worked because after picking Upgrade a couple
times, and a delay, I'm given to a screen that's probably the new
MythFrontend but it's heavily corrupted. I can make out a MythTV logo and
"Main Menu" at the top, repeated, along with the graphics and text below it
repeated. I can press [Esc] and barely make out the "Do you want to go
back?" prompt. Eventually I can get out, answer a couple prompts for
starting the backend and doing a mythfilldatabase.

Does this mean it worked?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca