[mythtv-users] duplicate dvb tuner shows up

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Apr 30 04:14:37 UTC 2015

I actually have 3 dvb capture devices on my new MythTV machine, only one
of which I actually use--a K-World USB stick I've posted about here
previously (UB435 -Q). My other 2 USB tuners are used solely for recording
NTSC cable (HVR-1950), though they, too, have dvb functionality. But I do
not use that capability on those tuners--just their NTSC capability.

To keep better track of these dvb tuners and to make certain the K-World
one gets used for its intended purpose of tuning OTA channels, I created a
udev rule that makes a symlink for it under a clearly-recognizable name
that has KWorld in it. I had some trouble selecting that symlink when I
set up the capture device and had to enter the symlink path manually. But
I was able to set it up and have tested some live TV viewing and have done
some recordings with it.

The strange thing about this particular tuner that I'd like to ask about
here is the fact that it shows up twice when, for example, I look at
backend status using MythWeb: I have an encoder 14 and an encoder 16 that
both are associated with the symlink I created. Also, while doing some
test viewing of live TV, when I go to switch inputs, there are two entries
for this device in the menu. In mythtv-setup, however, it appears only
once.

I'm curious as to why in the frontend there appears to be a duplicate of
this capture device, and whether that is a sign of, or might lead to, some
problem. I did note at a certain point while looking through the capture
card configurations under mythtv-setup, something to the effect that these
dvb tuners can record from 2 channels simultaneously, if the broadcast
source allows for that. Could this be the reason why this tuner shows up
in duplicate?

Input on this issue will be appreciated. Thanks