[mythtv-users] Is this database corruption?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 30 02:27:45 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 05:22 PM, James Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, James Miller wrote:
>
>> schedule info beyond a couple of days on OTA channels. So I'm
>> continuing to investigate.
>
> I got this fixed. Continuing to research the issue, and having noted
> the message "No channels are configured to use grabber" among the
> output I would get when running mythfilldatabse, I ran across this
> page https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor. There's some
> discussion there of xmltvid. I investigated some channels (by watching
> live TV, then hitting the "e" key) and discovered that my OTA channels
> did not have any xmltvid's entered.

Oh, should have scrolled down to see there were more messages in the
thread.  I see you've already discovered what I just suggested in my

> So I logged in to my SD account, found the xmltvid's for those
> channels, and entered them all manually through the frontend. Then,
> next time I ran mythfilldatabase, new channels were found for that OTA
> source and several updates were made. Now, when I look at the program
> guide, I see program data for those OTA channels extending out to
> about 2 weeks.
>
> I know I never had to undertake any extra steps like that on past
> MythTV installations I've done (using Mythbuntu). I wonder why this
> time I did? Aren't those xmltvid's supposed to be automatically found
> and entered somehow? Further input will be appreciated.

The reason you have to do this now and didn't before is because your
broadcasters are sending channel data (names) that now differ
significantly enough from those used by SD that mythfilldatabase can't
guess.

That said, it's always better to manually specify the information than
to hope mfdb guesses right.  Counting on
ever-changing-values-sent-by-broadcasters-who-think-no-one-will-be-affected-by-changes-nor-even-see-what's-there
and "fuzzy" guessing by a software program isn't, IMHO, a recipe for
success.  :)

Mike