[mythtv-users] Is this database corruption?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Apr 30 02:24:18 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 01:10 PM, James Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Almost always caused by using XMLTV or Schedules Direct for a channel
>> and also enabling EIT--so the two walk over each other's data and
>> give you bad data.
>
> Thanks for your input, Michael. This matter is made even more
> confusing by the fact that EIT can be enabled at 2 different points in
> mythtv-setup. I've now looked into this and discovered that, of the
> two possible places to enable EIT, I'd only disabled it in one. I've
> now disabled the second and am trying to determine if certain of my
> issues are resolved.
>
> Which brings me to the question of why I enabled EIT to begin with. As
> I recall, I started fiddling with that setting because, for OTA
> channels, I was only getting guide data 1-2 days out. And that
> situation still obtains, even after I've disabled EIT and re-run
> mythfilldatabase. On my old MythTV machine, the guide data for those
> OTA channels--as for the cable channels I can bring in--extends out
> close to 2 weeks.
>
> At the risk of side-tracking this thread with what might be an
> unrelated issue, why, for these OTA channels, am I only getting guide
> data for the next 24-48 hours? Guide data for cable channels on the
> new system is like it was on my old MythTV machine--close to two weeks
> worth.

What listings source are you trying to use?  If it's Schedules Direct,
you will get about 2 weeks of data.  For most (all?) XMLTV sources, you
should get a week or two, too.

Therefore, if you're only seeing 2 days worth, even after running
mythfilldatabase, I'd guess those channels are not properly linked to
your non-EIT listings source (i.e. via XMLTV ID) or else you have some
"shadow" channels--multiple copies of the channels you want, where one
is associated with your XMLTV/SD listings source (and isn't showing up
in the guide, etc), and the other is using EIT (and is what you see in
the guide).  This usually happens when someone scans for channels, then
runs mythfilldatabase, expecting it to match up the channels from the
listings source with those in the database.  However, due to the fact
that the broadcasters often give very different names for the channels
than the listings source uses, it's often impossible for
mythfilldatabase to match things up.  This is why after I scan for
channels and before I ever run mythfilldatabase, I always manually set
the XMLTV IDs for all the channels (I do so using MythWeb's channel
editor because it allows me to edit them all in a single page much more
easily than mythtv-setup's channel editor).  Then, when I run
mythfilldatabase, it doesn't need (nor try) to guess which scanned
channel matches which listings-source channel.

Mike