[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure -- recovery method suggestions

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 21:45:54 UTC 2015

> On 29 Apr 2015, at 5:53 am, "Jerry" <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>> > I'm not sure if I can salvage anything at this point and I'm not sure I want
>> > to spend days trying to grab whatever is left.
>>
>> I suggest that at this point, it is time to walk away.  You
>> are going to be spending those days you stated you
>> did not want to spend to try all the ideas and likely
>> recover some small part of the data.
>>
>> "He's dead, Jerry".
>
> Agreed.  Yeah, I think it's time to shoot the horse.
>
> Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I'll file a claim and get a new drive.

My condolences on your loss Jerry.

On a slightly different note, I think I saw that yours was a 3Tb Seagate drive. IIRC there is a Backblaze study that shows they have an unusually high failure rate.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

It would appear to me that your experience may align very closely to the Backblaze experience.