[mythtv-users] Can't get HD TV channels working

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 21:39:56 UTC 2015

On 23/04/2015 09:36, Damian Surr wrote:
> On 21/04/2015 10:34, Damian wrote:

>>> Do you really mean *but* ?  If mythtvsetup doesn't know about it, it
>>> can't use it.  See below...
>>
>> Wow, that was a confusing typo! I should have said ..
>>
>> "The USB tuner is *NOW* showing up in the backend setup, but I can't
>> get it to find any channels."
>>
>> It's now showing up fine in the backend setup, I just can't get it to
>> find any channels.

>>> Hi:  We seem to have been hereabouts several times before, and I
>>> have no directly comparable setup, but...
>>>
>>> I suggest that you find out the frequency of the HD mux/es from your
>>> transmitter, from eg www.ukfree.tv/transmitters,
>>>
>>> In mythtvsetup, go to the Channel editor > Edit transports page.
>>>
>>> Create a new transport/s,  DVB (I don't know if you'll see a DVB-T2
>>> option) with the freq in Hz, 8 Mb BW, QAM-256
>>>
>>> Scan those transports, making sure you're using the right
>>> tuner/adapter.
>
> I just did that. Unfortunately, it found nothing.
>

>>> It seems that the 292e may need to be switched explicitly between
>>> its two modes, see
>>>
>>> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12342
>>>
>>> (which hasn't yet reached mainstream code, IIUC)
>>>
>>> And see, re firmware,
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/584487#584487
>>>
>>> That thread wanders around into different hardware but seems to end ok.
>
> OK, I'll admit it. I'm scared.
>
> I'm not a programmer. I looked at those pages and don't even have a
> clue what I'd do with that information, let alone have any faith that
> I wouldn't break my entire system.
>
> I guess I need to wait until these changes/fixes make it into
> MythBuntu. Does anyone have any idea how long that might be?
>
> Thanks,
> Damian
Some progress ... (but not much)

After applying the latest 0.27 Mythbutu updates, I thought I'd try
scanning channels again.

The geed news is that the HD tuner seems to be working now. It can now
scan channels.

The bad news is that it only seems to be scanning SD channels.

I did a 'full scan' using the new tuner, and it found lots of stuff, but
none of the HD transports.

I edited the transports and deleted all but one, and edited that to the
details of the main HD transport in the Mendip area. I then scanned only
existing transports, but nothing came up.

So, this feels like one step forward, but I still have no idea how far I
am from a solution.

Cheers,
Damian