[mythtv-users] Can't get HD TV channels working

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 21 08:52:35 UTC 2015

On 20/04/15 22:50, Damian wrote:
> On 20/04/2015 22:41, Damian wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I'm running mythbuntu and recently got a PCTV 292e stick to go along
>> side my 2 SD USB Tuners.
>>
>> The backend couldn't originally find the PCTV 292e stick because my
>> kernel was too old. However, I've just updated that tonight.
>>
>> The USB tuner is not showing up in the backend setup, but I can't get
>> it to find any channels.

Do you really mean *but* ?  If mythtvsetup doesn't know about it, it
can't use it.  See below...

>> I'm in the UK and trying to get the Freeview channels.
>>
>> Let em know if I'm missing something ...
>> I've got all 3 capture cards set up as type "DVB-T/S/C, ATSC or ISDB=T
>> tuner card"
>> I've made a second video source, so there's now one for SD channels
>> and one for HD. Both simply EIT.
>> In Input connections, the 2 SD cards are connected to the SD video
>> source. The new tuner is connected to the HD video source.
>> The SD channels are still scanning fine (I have to edit transports a
>> bit, but no big problem).
>> However, doing a full scan with the HD video source produces no
>> results at all! The signal strength says "0%" throughout a full scan.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damian
> PS I just checked the cables. I put the lean that's connecting to the
> new USB stick into one of the old SD sticks (and removed the other
> aerial cables all together). The lead seems to be fine as the existing
> transports were scanned again without any problems.

Hi:  We seem to have been hereabouts several times before, and I have no
directly comparable setup, but...

I suggest that you find out the frequency of the HD mux/es from your
transmitter, from eg www.ukfree.tv/transmitters,

In mythtvsetup, go to the Channel editor > Edit transports  page.

Create a new transport/s,  DVB (I don't know if you'll see a DVB-T2
option) with the freq in Hz, 8 Mb BW, QAM-256

Scan those transports, making sure you're using the right tuner/adapter.

It seems that the 292e may need to be switched explicitly between its
two modes, see

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12342

(which hasn't yet reached mainstream code, IIUC)

And see, re firmware,

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/584487#584487

That thread wanders around into different hardware but seems to end ok.

Cheers,

John