[mythtv-users] accessing 2 BE's from one FE questions

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Apr 21 02:57:36 UTC 2015

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015, Bill Meek wrote:

> On your new box, I'd:
>
>    mkdir ~/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired
>    cp ~/.mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired
>
> In the new config.xml, adjust the following to point at your old box:
>
>    <Host>old-host-name</Host>
>    <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
>    <Password>your-old-host-SQL-Password</Password>
>
> Then, most likely, create a script to start the FE using
> the above e.g.
>
>    . /etc/default/locale
>    export LANG
>    export LC_ALL=$LANG
>    export MYTHCONFDIR=$HOME/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired
>    exec mythfrontend --quiet --logpath /var/log/mythtv
>
> Adjust as required. MYTHCONFDIR is the important part.
>
> On the new host, start the FE as you do now. Or, exit that
> and run the above script to access the old. You can do the

Thanks for your input on this, Bill. Though this turned out to be fairly
simple, I did have to adapt the directions slightly for my scenario. Both
my systems have been set up as self-contained FE/BE systems, so at first I
couldn't connect to the old host's database. Looking a bit further, I
discovered I needed to go into mythtv-setup on the old machine and do some
reconfiguration--first to cause it to allow outside connections, and
second so that it's address on the LAN (rather than 127.0.0.1) would be
the address to which connections are made. Once I'd done that, I could
connect and watch recorded programming on that machine. Appreciate!