[mythtv-users] Small combined FE/BE hardware advice for Australia

Robin Marlow robin.marlow at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 15:59:29 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've had a lovely large FE/BE box of some form living under my TV for
nearly 11 years now.  The kids don't know TV any other way.  We are moving
to Australia for a year and I'm keen to provide a beacon of normality and
have a mythbox there.  There will only be one tv so a combined unit is
ideal.  A single 4Gb drive could easily hold all our current
films+photos+music etc

Probably I should wait until I get there and just pick up a second hand
beige or low grade dell box and a cheap nvidia card...but if there were a
suitable tiny unit then it would be nice to get it set up and working
before we go.

Bearing in mind i don't transcode or remove adverts and I'd just be
shuffling bits from a USB dvb-T tuner to a HD how much grunt would a box
really need?  Or is it the playback that is more likely to be an issue?
I've been tempted to get one of the atom HDMI sticks people have been
talking about to play with - the main issue for the small units is having
enough connectivity to plug tuners + storage in.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robin