[mythtv-users] accessing 2 BE's from one FE questions

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:58:31 UTC 2015

On 04/19/2015 06:49 PM, James Miller wrote:
> I've still got my old MythTV system running alongside my new one.
> Since both systems are recording, I currently need to switch between the two to watch recorded programming and execute other tasks. It's not a
> whole lot of trouble to switch screen/monitor and sound inputs when I want to use one or other of the systems. But it strikes me that I might be
> able to obviate that and switch over more fully to the new system if I could cause it to hook, not only to its own backend, but to the old
> system's backend, as well.

On your new box, I'd:

     mkdir ~/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired
     cp ~/.mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired

In the new config.xml, adjust the following to point at your old box:

     <Host>old-host-name</Host>
     <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
     <Password>your-old-host-SQL-Password</Password>

Then, most likely, create a script to start the FE using
the above e.g.

     . /etc/default/locale
     export LANG
     export LC_ALL=$LANG
     export MYTHCONFDIR=$HOME/.mythtv.soon.to.be.retired
     exec mythfrontend --quiet --logpath /var/log/mythtv

Adjust as required. MYTHCONFDIR is the important part.

On the new host, start the FE as you do now. Or, exit that
and run the above script to access the old. You can do the
same on your old host and allow it to access the new one.
Just make something like ~/.mythtv.temporary.new.host.access

--
Bill