[mythtv-users] Commercial Detection

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:45:58 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use Myth purely with OTA (New York area networks) and have been
> using commercial detection for a long time.  Years ago it was almost
> flawless, but I think the broadcasters have made changes over the
> years that have started tripping it up a bit.

Just as the (serious) spammers own all the best spam detection
technology/appliances in order to detection and prevention, there
is an entire ecosystem which tries to tweak the presentation to
minimize the ability for automated systems to detect commercials
(and skip them, which reduces revenue that pays for the content).
It is the old story of the better defenses lead to better offenses.
The battles continue.  I would not be at all surprised if the end-game
is not the end of OTA as we know it.