[mythtv-users] Hard drive failure -- recovery method suggestions

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Fri Apr 17 13:47:54 UTC 2015

Thanks Stephen and Simon.  ddrescue sounds good to me.  I do have the
system partition on a separate SSD disk, so I will be able to install it
there and log without issue.  I also have an additional 3 TB hard drive of
the same brand in my closet at home.

This is a recording drive and a videos drive.  I do have some home videos
on there, but I think that I have backups for those elsewhere, and I have
also given them to my sister and my mother.  Fortunately, nothing of real
value is at stake, but it will still take a while to recover any shows that
may be repeated in the future.

I had heard that there might be issues with the Seagate 3 TB hard drives
but I went ahead and bought one anyway.  I got the second one at a really
good price as an insurance policy.  Now I am glad that I did.

Hopefully it won't be too bad.  I haven't fully taken a look at the
reports, but it looks like it failed a SMART health check and then failed
to read SMART data (something like that) and was then mounted as
read-only.  I got several notices about 328 sectors failing, but of course
this number may have increased.  Again, it's hard for me to diagnose now
since I don't have physical access to the machine.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Jerry