[mythtv-users] FE Stop/Restart for Smooth Playback [SOLVED]

jim jim_32766 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:41:15 UTC 2015

On 03/28/2015 01:20 PM, Stephen P. Villano wrote:

> On 3/28/15 1:17 PM, jim wrote:

>>> Try running top during the post restart of the FE and during the poorly
>>> performing ones. That also might give you a clue.
>>> I've had to do that many times, a couple of times, process hogs turned
>>> up. Tuning or stopping unnecessary ones fixed the issue I was having
>>> (non-mythtv system, but the troubleshooting remains the same).
>>>

>> I removed MediaBrowser and Mono to see if that would help. I noticed
>> that Mono was high on the list from "top" most of the time, plus I've
>> read that there have been memory management issues with those
>> programs. I am still waiting for the problem to reappear so I can do a
>> log comparison pre/post. Thanks!
> If you're a lazy sysadmin, like I am, try htop. You can renice the
> processes that are offending to see if that helps.
> Of course, my ultimate laziness is more along the lines of scripting
> tedious chores.  :)
Just in case someone finds this thread in the future and can benefit
from my experience, the jitter I was experiencing disappeared when I
upgraded the kernel from 3.13.0-24 to 3.16.0-34. The newer kernel
appears to make better use of the Intel HD4600 integrated graphics
capability, and may have other improvements that help too. I tested for
several days after upgrading the kernel before posting this response to
make sure the jitter was really gone. Normally I would have encountered
it several times by now and have not encountered it once.