[mythtv-users] H265 support

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:50:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 9:31 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>    I would expect that the bulk of the work would need to be done in
> upstream projects like ffmpeg.

At this time, MythTV uses its own HW decoder support,
(at some point in the past, FFMpeg added some HW
decoder support.  My recollection is that someone who
tried to used had some issues to quality of the
documentation (actually, I think they said something
about there being no essentially no docs), although
I have no idea what the current status is, and it is
moot, since MythTV does not use it).  And while
their are many who will claim that the answer will
always be to use software decoding, those that want
lower CPU (or use SoCs) likely want hardware support.