[mythtv-users] New Upnp Channel Changer Script (Dish VIP 211 users definitely read)

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Apr 13 17:07:42 UTC 2015

On 02/23/2015 07:03 PM, Jon Heizer wrote:
> Mythtv users. I'd like to present a new channel changer script.  If
> you are a Dish VIP 211 users this will definitely work and it is
> AMAZING.  It uses ethernet to change the channels.  NO MORE IR
> BLASTERS!!  Can you tell I'm excited? :)
>
> Basically a few weeks ago I randomly plugged my STB into the network
> for the first time in years.  Being the curious type I did port scans
> and such.  There was now a Upnp port open with control abilities.
>
> Benefits over lirc scripts:
>  - No LIRC
>  - Super fast.  Live tv is ~ 5 seconds to change now.  Even faster on
> first start up.
>  - No more idling out to the screen saver after 4 hours.  I disable it.
>  - No LIRC
>
> The one Negative: our VIP 211 receivers are smart enough to use the
> same guide number for both HD when available and SD when not.  Sadly,
> the upnp interface is not and it displays the SD feed.  You must
> update your channel data to use the super high number channels.  A bit
> of a pain I'll admit, but I can't imagine going back now.
> I've been using this on my production system for about 3 weeks now on
> 2 receivers and have not had a single issue.
>
> You can find the script at
> https://github.com/jheizer/UPnPChannelChanger  and I'll be updating
> that page this evening with instructions for people using a different
> STB with steps to detect Upnp and instructions to modify the script.

Hi Jon,

Have you received much feedback from other users migrating to this
solution with Dish?

I am currently using DirecTV with the http channel changing script. It
works extremely well, but as expected directv is raising prices as I get
towards the end of my contract.

I would be happy to go back to Dish if this solution is working well and
it working for all dish customers.  I had such a bad experience with the
Vip211 receivers with IR blasters.

Michael