[mythtv-users] combined BE/FE/MythWelcome shutdown

Richard Hulme peper03 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 20:22:23 UTC 2015

On 12/04/15 03:01, Scott Bickford wrote:
> Somehow, when I am finished watching/fussing with MythTV when I go to
> exit the frontend, after saying yes I am sure I want to exit back to
> MythWelcome, the frontend starts back up again (seems to be a sticky key
> problem).  Most of the time I have turned off the tv and don't see that
> the FE has actually restarted again.
>
> Secondly, my wife sometimes forgets  (or never even uses it) to exit the
> FE, so it stays on potentially forever in this situation.
>
> I was thinking of a shell script to look at the FE activity in the it's
> log, but it appears that there's some non human activity in it like:
>
> 2015-04-11 20:47:15.926944 I  Bonjour: Service registration complete:
> name 'Mythfrontend on localhost.localdomain' type '_mythfrontend._tcp.'
> domain: 'local.'
>
> Any other ideas?

I get the problem of the frontend automatically restarting when exiting
as well occasionally.  I've never got round to investigating it but I'm
pretty sure it's not due to a sticky key because it's 'Escape' to exit
the frontend (I have it sent to just exit, not query) and would be 'OK'
to start again from MythWelcome.

As I understand it, the Mythbuntu wrapper script for the frontend only
restarts it if it crashes, so I'm guessing something is causing the
frontend to crash, but as I said, it's just one of those things I've
never found the time to investigate in detail, so I'm just guessing.

Regarding the second point, have a look under 'Settings->General' at
'Idle time before entering standby mode' setting on the 'Shutdown/Reboot
Settings' page.  I have that set to 60 minutes so that after 60 minutes
of inactivity, my box has a chance to shut down.

I have the backend set to shut down after 5 minutes so I use MythWelcome
as way of telling my system that I'm finished with it and it can shut
down.  That way it will shut down quickly when I'm done (or if the
frontend was never started because it only turned on to record
something) but I can leave it in the frontend if I expect to come back
to it soon.  If I do forget, the 60 minute timer will make sure it
doesn't stay on indefinitely.

I like to use MythWelcome as a way of seeing what the next scheduled
programme is (i.e. when the box is going to start again).

I added this functionality to the idle screen and the ability to 'exit'
to the idle screen to master some months ago, which pretty much covers
my use-case of telling the machine I'm done, and being able to see
what's up next.

Richard.