[mythtv-users] alt lightweight web servers for MythTV?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 14:35:00 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:

>> I've never actually used it.  I'd read up on the docs for
>> webapp-config with nginx in general.

> Thanks for bringing webapp-config to my attention, Rich. I've looked over
> the wiki article and it looks like that application might be helpful: the
> fact that webapp-config is said to handle ownership/permissions issues is
> certainly an attractive feature. But I've gotten a bit confused by
> statements made toward the beginning of the article, to the effect that
> "webapp-config . . . is used for automatic setup of web applications in
> virtual hosting environments" and "webapp-config is aimed at providing the
> package management functionality that web server administrators need when
> running multiple web sites off of the same computer (virtual hosting)."
> These statements do not describe my scenario: I will run only one site
> from my FE/BE machine, and that will (hopefully) be MythWeb. There is no
> virtual hosting, so far as I can grasp that concept, in place here. Given
> that no virtual hosting is in play, will webapp-config really be
> applicable to my situation?

The man page for webapp-config is quite good. So read it. As Rick says
you only need it if you have the vhost flag set, else any web
application will get installed in it's own subdirectory (eg mythweb)
in /var/www/localhost/htdocs. You access it through the machines ip or
dns name followed by '/mythweb/' (or localhost if you're on the
machine itself)
If you have set the vhost flag it gets a bit more complicated (I
assume nginx supports virtual hosting). You then set your dns to point
a unique web address of your choosing to the IP of your server. You
replace localhost in the directory path with that address and let
webapp-config install it there. You now don't need a subdirectory
under htdocs, for there is only one website there. You also have to
adapt the configuration in your webserver to use that address and
path. That way you can have numerous different web-addresses being
served by the same server on the same ip-address, without reverting to
subdirectories.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven