[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.27.4: Trouble-free LiveTV with ivtv?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 00:36:33 UTC 2015

Hoi Karl,

Friday, April 10, 2015, 2:10:43 AM, you wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Saul <jaglover at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:30:37 +0100
>> Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm wondering if there are any users running the current stable
>> > release of MythTV (0.27.4) with ivtv-based hardware capture card(s)
>> > (i.e. PVR-150/250/500) who do *not* have any problems with LiveTV
>> > playback?
>> >
>> > If you are one of the lucky ones, please could you provide details of
>> > your distribution, kernel version, and any patches you have needed to
>> > apply.
>>
>> Yes, I'm interested, too. Anything newer than Gentoo 0.27_p20140321
>> will crash when a transmission ends and another one starts. With 2250
>> card.
>>
>> I guess I'm a "lucky" one, but I've never had problems like what Nick is
> describing (PVR-500 here). We don't use LiveTV much anymore (now that I
> have the family trained) but it still seems to work okay when I try it. I
> haven't applied any particular patches to make that part work any better. I
> have patches to fix commercial flagging, etc. but nothing related to
> playback. I'm successfully using the newest mythtv release on Gentoo on two
> different Intel platforms (an i3 Sandy Bridge on the combined
> frontend/backend and a Bay Trail/ECS Liva on a dedicated frontend). Both
> are using VAAPI. The backend is on 3.12.? and the frontend is on 3.18.?
> both using the Gentoo-sources patch set. That may be something to
> investigate, as I understand that there was a LiveTV bug semi-recently
> introduced that toggles VAAPI on and off on a program change or channel
> change. If your VAAPI is not working correctly, or there's a problem with
> the OpenGL or software decode, that may cause it to crash if it flips back
> and forth.

> Karl

I've had that kind of things on my frontend, but not ivtv related. I
tracked it down to bad nvidia integration resulting in opengl
conflicts between mesa and nvidia. I recompiled nvidia on a much barer
kernel, with only a vesa framebuffer for video, no KMS or whatever.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop