[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:49:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:
> I think you will find that the net has been cast rather tightly and that
> HDMI splitters available in North America are all HDCP compliant on both
> sides of the box..

No one would be so stupid to claim that there is no illegal
(depending on jurisdiction) activity taking place, nor that it
has not in the past ("I am shocked — shocked— to find that
gambling is going on in here!").  And while it is unlikely that
individuals will be prosecuted for participating (i.e. jaywalking
usually is a crime, yet it is rarely prosecuted), only a fool
(or someone with deep pockets and a lot of good lawyers)
would publicly pronounce "Hey, look over here, I am violating
the laws of my land, and you should too!", as that tends to
attract attention of the unwanted kind.

All current reputable re-sellers have purged their stock of
any device that knowingly does not implement HDCP
compliance.  Some P-2-P sites seem to not look too
closely as long as their sales cut makes it to the quarterly
bottom line, but that too is changing over time.

Regardless, discussing technologies that violate the laws
of the US is prohibited on *this* list, per item #5 of the
faq section "Anything else I should be aware of?" from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mailing_List_etiquette.

> I have NO idea about the compliance characteristics of an XBOX One, but if
> it is not compliant it will be a useful state-tester.

At release, HDCP was required on the "next gen" game
boxes to record.  But as I understand it, all recent firmware
releases on game boxes relaxed the HDCP requirements
(sometimes with a magic "disable HDCP" config setting) in
order to allow recording of game play (while still requiring
HDCP compliance when playing back other content that
specifies DRM protections; so your PSx can play games
without HDCP, but not play back a Blu Ray disc without
HDCP).