[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 9 18:13:51 UTC 2015

On 09/04/15 11:56 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/04/15 09:33 AM, Matt Emmott wrote:
>

>         An HDMI splitter will negotiate the initial encryption and pass the
>         stream to its outputs unencrypted. I believe this is how gamers
>         capture
>         recordings from their Xbox and PS4 consoles.
>

>     Are you actually *sure* about that? Or just repeating something
>     which you have read.
>     Because my understanding of HDCP (over HDMI or otherwise) is that
>     HDCP compliance is required in order for an encrypted stream to be
>     passed through.
>

> I'm not. I'm basing it on what I had read online while shopping for
> splitters. My home FE is split to four TVs throughout my house but I've
> never run an HDCP source through it. I assume that ChromeCast and FireTV
> sticks use HDCP? I could plug one into it tomorrow and report back.
> Alternatively I could plug my Xbox One into it but I'd have to lug the
> thing downstairs.

Well you have to be comparing apples with apples.
If you are feeding your 4 FE's from a myth BE, then there is no HDCP in
the stream.  -> no problem,

If you are plugging some form of network receiver (Chromecast or FireTV
stick) into a post-circa-2005 TV, then any HDCP in the stream will be
confirmed/handshaked with the TV, as *they* are HDCP compliant.
You would have to plug the stick into something NOT HDCP compliant, to
determine that status, (check against a compliant box) then feed it
through the hub to the non-compliant tv.

I think you will find that the net has been cast rather tightly and that
HDMI splitters available in North America are all HDCP compliant on both
sides of the box..

I have NO idea about the compliance characteristics of an XBOX One, but
if it is not compliant it will be a useful state-tester.

Throughout I am assuming 1080 HDMI to HDMI connections, not Component
nor downgraded 480p SD outputs.

Geoff