[mythtv-users] AMD/ATI graphics card questions

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 14:46:54 UTC 2015

This is my first attempt at using an AMD/ATI graphics card with Mythtv
(Mythbuntu 14.04).  I've always used NVIDIA before this but had some
extra hardware that I wanted to try.  I've got an AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7570
with HDMI out.  What is considered the best driver for this card in
combination with Mythtv?  The open source driver or the fglrx driver or
something else?  What playback profile should go along with the driver
from the previous question?

Currently I have the fglrx driver running but have some issues.

I can't seem to get into the setup menu to change the playback profile.
I hit enter on Playback and nothing happens.  I can't do anything until
I hit the back button.  Then I can move up and down in the menu again.
I'm questioning if this is a separate issue independent of the graphics
driver.  I just didn't notice before the upgrade.

With the NVIDIA driver I could VNC into the box and still control the
menus in Myth.  With the fglrx driver I can't.  I'm wondering if this
has to do with the OpenGL menus.  If I close Myth the keyboard and mouse
both work in the desktop.

I can't seem to get sound to work outside of Myth.  It works fine in
Myth.  I'm using HDMI to a TV.  I've disabled the onboard sound card so
only the HDMI sound device shows up in lspci.

I think that's it for now.  Thanks for the help.

Carl