[mythtv-users] IEC958 switch muted every reboot (ALSA)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Apr 8 12:32:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 19:12:34 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am installing a frontend with Debian Jessie. I have a problem with
>HDMI audio output.
>
>I enabled first time in "Audio Mixer" the IEC958 switch in the "HDA
>NVidia (Alsa mixer) and the audio works great.
>
>The problem is that in every reboot I need to enabled the IEC958 switch.
>
>How could I fix it?
>
>Thanks and best regards.

I had a similar problem (where my S/PDIF was always off) when I moved
from Mythbuntu 12.04 to 14.04.  I never really found out what was
wrong, but I solved it by using alsamixer to get the settings right,
then doing "alsactl store" as root, and adding this to /etc/rc.local:

# Restore the alsa settings.  This used to be automatic in Ubuntu
# 12.04, but does not happen in 14.04.
alsactl restore &

I still occasionally have the S/PDIF option just turn off at some
random moment, very occasionally actually as I am playing a recording.
Manually running alsactl restore as root fixes it again but I would
love to know what software is causing this and why Mythbuntu 14.04 is
not automatically saving and restoring the alsa settings.