[mythtv-users] Issue with accents in titles and descriptions: Myth or Schedules Direct?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 7 18:33:45 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 01:35 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> I said it a bit wrong. I now saw the free form option in eselect
> locale and set it to nl_NL.UTF-8 and QT tries to set it to nl_US not
> us_NL as I said or nl_NL as it should and then complains about:
> "No locale defaults file for nl_US, skipping" which is correct, but
> not OK. This even while to lines earlier it says:
> "Assumed character encoding: nl_NL.UTF-8".
> This is what I have been seeing always with mythfilldatabase and the
> like. Weird.

Ah, I see what you're talking about.  If you haven't specified LANG, or
you specify a bad value for LANG--even if LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE is set
correctly--you'll see the garbage value in the "Assumed character
encoding" message.  So, really, that message isn't exactly right unless
you've set LANG and LC_ALL (or LANG and LC_CTYPE) to the same exact value.

Really, we should log the values we got from each of locale, from
LC_ALL, from LC_CTYPE, and LANG, because lc_value (which is used in the
"Assumed character encoding" message) is always ending up with whatever
you specify in LANG.

Regardless, if you're seeing something about nl_US, then you have that
set somewhere.

Mike