[mythtv-users] No upcoming recordings just spurious Never Record?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 7 15:04:04 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 10:43 AM, Steve Goodey wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 Apr 2015 09:55:26 Andre Newman wrote:

>>> Interesting--and disappointing--that it didn't trigger the lockdown
>>> functionality that's supposed to occur when a bot is noticed in your
>>> MythWeb.
>> I didn’t know it did that! Well supposed to anyway, interesting feature.
>>
>> I can post some logs of the bot’s activity if it’s any value?
>>
>> 46.4.32.75 - - [05/Apr/2015:15:23:31 +0100] "GET
>> /mythweb/tv/detail/22020/1428127800 HTTP/1.0" 200 43863 "-"
>> Mozilla/5.0(compatible; MJ12bot/v1.4.5; http://www.majestic12.co.uk/bot.php?+)”
>>
>> It’s something called MJ12bot, new one to me.
>  From http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/mj12bot.php
>
> "*How can I block MJ12bot?*
> MJ12bot adheres to the robots.txt[1] standard. If you want the bot to
> prevent website from being crawled then add the following text to your
> robots.txt:
> Disallow: /
> Please do not waste your time trying to block bot via IP in htaccess - we do
> not use any consecutive IP blocks so your efforts will be in vain. Also
> please make sure the bot can actually retrieve robots.txt itself - if it can't
> then it will assume (this is the industry practice) that its okay to crawl your
> site.
> If you have reason to believe that MJ12bot did NOT obey your robots.txt
> commands, then please let us know via email: bot at majestic12.co.uk[2].
> Please provide URL to your website and log entries showing bot trying to
> retrieve pages that it was not supposed to."

And, if anyone wants to look at the MythWeb code to see why it failed to
detect the bot, here's the commit that added that code (meaning a good
start to finding the specific code to review):

https://github.com/MythTV/mythweb/commit/9633dbbe

So, is it just me (and my total lack of PHP skillz) or does it seem the
haystack and needle might be transposed in lockdown.php? If so, that
would explain why TTBOMK the lockdown has never actually triggered since
it was added (as I'm nearly positive that once it does so, we'll get
messages from users asking why they're locked out of MythWeb--as few are
likely to look in the MythWeb README when in a panic--and I've never yet
seen a question about "resetting" the lockdown since the feature was
added in Jun 2008).

Anyway, perhaps with the code reference, someone can find the haystack
in the needle.

Mike