[mythtv-users] Issue with accents in titles and descriptions: Myth or Schedules Direct?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 7 14:53:10 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 09:50 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 07/04/15 01:28 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Before going any farther with this issue, please make sure that neither
>> mythbackend nor mythfilldatabase nor mythfrontend  logs (ideally on any
>> of your hosts) output the warning:
>>
>> This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a UTF-8
>> codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your current
>> language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG
>> variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to
>> include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').
>>
>> If so, please fix that as the first step.  If you do not fix that, you
>> /should/ be having problems with encodings/characters--as the logs
>> state.  :)
>
> What Mike means is that you need:
>
> export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

though ideally you'd also set LANG:

export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

i.e. ( LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE ) and LANG

(Yes, I know that an application that understands LC_CTYPE shouldn't
need LANG, but Qt was designed for use on a myriad of
differently-brok^H^H^H^Hdesigned distributions and operating systems and
tries to use complex logic to figure out what to use--but has different
code in different places--so the best bet is to have both set so that
everything works right, regardless of which part of Qt we're using in
the various parts of MythTV.)

> in the .bashrc file for the user running mythbackend etc..
>
> Or in /etc/bashrc if you have different users.
>
> And a quick grep tells me that I also have that tucked into the
> pre-start.sh script which runs as part of systemd's startup for
> mythbackend.

Right, basically make sure it's set in all the environments in which
MythTV applications are run.  This often involves putting it in many
places (as you did), because different MythTV applications are started
from different environments/by different users/by different
script-runners/...

Mike