[mythtv-users] Issue with accents in titles and descriptions: Myth or Schedules Direct?

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:29:46 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 12:28 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Before going any farther with this issue, please make sure that neither mythbackend nor mythfilldatabase nor mythfrontend  logs (ideally on any
> of your hosts) output the warning:
>
> This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your current
> language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to include a
> UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8').
>
> If so, please fix that as the first step.  If you do not fix that, you /should/ be having problems with encodings/characters--as the logs
> state.  :)

Oops. Let me try sending again with an with an actual comment...

I think Nick Morrott might have nailed it with:
 > I've seen similar issues in the past in the upstream listings data for
 > the XMLTV/tv_grab_uk_rt grabber. I did a lot of work to both find and
 > then correct such errors whenever they were spotted in the source data
 > so that end-users were not affected.
 >
 > In my uk_rt experience, bad upstream listings data itself was the culprit.

Here's what I captured with Wireshark as the data came in to
my BE:

Good: Con Sabor a Per\303\272         which is: 0x c3 ba       or: ú
Bad:  Con Sabor a Per\303\203\302\272 which is: 0x c3 83 c2 ba or: Ã º

The bad encoding is actually being  passed before mythfilldatabase
gets to process it. (but I do have LANG/LC_ALL set correctly.)

--
Bill