[mythtv-users] Screen Goes Blank on Standby, Then Never Wakes Up

Tom Wheeler tomwheel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 03:12:06 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear if this fixes it long term. I changed mine
> yesterday and still see the issue.

Unfortunately, I discovered tonight that setting the resolution explicitly
did not fix it after all, nor did updating the NVidia driver to the latest
version.

I did, however, isolate what is causing the blue screen. I previously
noticed it after having been away from the TV for an hour or more. In
trying to debug it, the last messages I saw in the logs were always about
entering and leaving standby mode, so naturally I thought that was the
issue. Tonight I found that the problem wasn't that the frontend was idle,
but rather that the receiver had been turned off. (which of course strongly
correlates to when it was idle for an hour or more). That is, I can
instantly cause the blue screen to appear (and still see the "720x480/60p"
message in the upper left) by simply turning the receiver off and then on
again.

As you noted, restarting the lightdm service does fix it temporarily. I'll
also try the solution Mike proposed when I have a chance. While the problem
is not fixed, at least having the ability to reproduce it at will should
make it faster and easier to experiment with different solutions. One
workaround that comes to mind is to map a key on my remote to the xrefresh
command.