[mythtv-users] Intel NUC DN2820FYKH frontend build

Mike Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 02:33:29 UTC 2014

I am building a new living room frontend and thought I'd share my
experience.  This is my first mythbox the uses Intel graphics.

Base Hardware with current Amazon Prime delivered price:
$142.61 Intel NUC DN2820FYKH with Intel Celeron N2820
$ 38.99 Kingston Technology 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 1.35V Non-ECC CL11
         SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR16LS11/4
-------
$181.60

I built and compared three different storage options:

-------------- Option 1 -------------------
$ 20.75 Generic 80gb 80 gb 2.5 SATA Internal Hard Drive
-------
$202.35 Total

-------------- Option 2 -------------------
$ 16.79 SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive SDCZ33-032G-B35
------
$198.39 Total

-------------- Option 3 -------------------
$37.35 Kingston Digital 2-Inch 30GB SSDNow mS200 mSATA (6Gbps) SSD
$11.63 Syba mSATA SSD to 2.5-Inch SATA Adapter (SY-ADA40050)
------
$230.58 Total

Build Install Notes:

Install: 4 screws out, slide in memory, drive, replace screws.
BIOS Update: 0039 BIOS on flash drive, install with F7 during boot.
BIOS settings: Set Legacy Boot, 512MB IGD Minimum Memory
Install  Mythbuntu 14.04.1, selected Windows Media Center Remote
Updated everything to latest:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.27
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install bc i965-va-driver vainfo
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
alsamixer: volume up
Audio: Find the one that works.  For me: ALSA:plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
Video: VAAPI Normal

Testing:
All three drive options performed fine for me.  The CPUs where about 20%
and 40% load during playback of the football game I used to test.  Almost
all of my recordings are 720p from HDPVRs with occasional 1080i from OTA
HDHR.  My old frontend used a Windows Media Center remote so that just
works without any hassle.  I used wired network.  This NUC has a wireless
card installed but I don't plan to use that.

                             Frontend menu  Playback      Boot Time
Option 1 (2.5 HDD)           8w             14w           70 sec
Option 2 (Flash Drive)       6w             11w           50 sec
Option 3 (SSD/adapter)       8w             12w           34 sec

Power measured with a Kill A Watt.  Still playing with this frontend so I
am willing to test something else if anyone is interested.

Anyone else build one of these?  Any problems?  So far it looks good and it
will be nice to get the desktop size frontend out of the living room.