[mythtv-users] Screen Goes Blank on Standby, Then Never Wakes Up

Tom Wheeler tomwheel at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 17:37:22 UTC 2014

I've been running a combined backend/frontend machine for several months,
but am setting up a connected frontend-only machine before getting rid of
cable for good. I've hit a very annoying problem and thought I'd ask for
help since it's likely that I'm not the first to have encountered it.

The frontend machine works great when I first boot it up. When I am done
watching TV and come back later (after an hour or more), all I see is a
plain blue screen. The screensaver and power management features are
disabled. I am using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers (version 304.117) with
VPDAU high quality setting.

Upon further investigation, it seems that an important factor is that my
frontend is routed through my AV receiver/amplifier. In other words, the
HDMI out from the NVIDIA GeForce GT-610 on my frontend goes into the DVR
HDMI input on my Onkyo HT-S3500, and from the HDMI out on the Onkyo into
the HDMI input on my Samsung TV.

Here is what I know:

1. The problem seems specific to the frontend. I can watch any other device
(e.g., DVD, Roku, etc.) plugged into other HDMI ports on the Onkyo without
problem.

2. It does not seem to be a bad HDMI cable. I have replaced the HDMI cable
between the frontend and the Onkyo, but the problem persists.

3. It does not seem to be the HDMI port on the stereo. I have tried making
the frontend go through another HDMI input on the Onkyo (i.e. the DVD
input), but the same thing still happens.

4. It seems to be related to X-Windows. When I see the blue screen, hitting
keys on the attached keyboard or clicking the attached mouse has no effect
(i.e., it does not "wake up" the screen). The machine is responsive when I
log in via ssh, and I can also hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in through the
virtual console.

If I reboot the machine, it works fine again until it goes idle for a while.

When I plug the HDMI cable from the frontend directly into the HDMI port in
the back of the TV, this doesn't happen.

Another perhaps interesting fact is that the Onkyo seems to make a periodic
clicking noise (sounds like a relay) when watching the frontend that I do
not hear when video from other devices is playing through it.

I'm grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,

Tom