[mythtv-users] what's the state of Intel HD 4000 / 4400 decoding?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Sep 25 22:10:45 UTC 2014

On 9/24/2014 6:12 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
> On 9/24/2014 1:39 PM, Tyler T wrote:
>>> tl;dr - what are the limitations on mythfrontend with HD
>>> 4000/4400 graphics?
>>
>> I don't know how HD 4000 / 4400 maps to the chipsets listed here:
>>
>> http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver/
>>
>> but the newer chips appear to be able to hardware-assist MPEG-2
>> decoding via VA-API.
>>
>> I don't know if VDPAU (instead of VA-API) can be used on Intel
>> graphics, but there does seem to be blossoming support for VDPAU
>> on AMD graphics chips. So if you're willing to consider AMD, that
>> may widen your options a bit.
>>
> I'm in the process of building a new FE/BE system.  I was originally
> planning on using an NVidia graphics card, but was turned off a bit
> due to the extra fans and noise.  The MB will have an Intel Haswell
> i7, so I am now planning on trying the Intel video.  I still want to
> do the MPEG-2 decoding in software, and just use VA-API for the
> rendering/deinterlacing.  I think MythTV supports this configuration
> for VDPAU (NVidia), but is it supported with VA-API too?  If I cannot
> get it to work satisfactorily, I still have the option of installing
> an NVidia card.
>
> Jay

And there is always the OpenGL option if VAAPI or VDPAU give you trouble. I'm using a low end i3-3220 with HD2500 graphics. I did have to create a custom OpenGL playback profile, since the HD2500 couldn't handle the deinterlacing options pre-configured for the "OpenGL Slim" profile. I'm happy with the results on my 32" 1080p bedroom TV.

HTH,
Helen