[mythtv-users] vlc for ISO-files

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 24 17:49:24 UTC 2014

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:26:54 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>playing DVDs with the internal player works fine. But playing DVD ISO files
>looks garbled. So I would like to use vlc as player for ISO files.
>According to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VLC I should use
>
>       vlc file://%s vlc://quit
>
>But "%s" is replaced by an URL beginning with "myth://". This kind of URL
>is not working for vlc. A workaround could be to use a script, that parses
>the URL and passes the relevant information to vlc. But for vlc being able
>to find the file I think I would need to mount a file share... it is
>getting more and more complex.
>
>How can vlc or the internal player work for ISO files?
>
>Kind Regards
>  Jens

What version of MythTV are you running?  There have been a number of
improvements with the rendering of DVDs recently, so I now no longer
have to use mplayer for DVDs any more.  I have mplayer set up to play
files mythfrontend will not handle properly, as you are trying to do
with vlc, but I am not using storage groups for my video files, so it
works fine.  If you are using storage groups, you will need to undo
that and go back to using the old direct access to directories for an
external program to be able to play a video file.  I am not sure if it
is possible to mix storage groups and directories - if so, you could
just move only the problematic files to direct directory access.