[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Sep 24 14:01:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
wrote:

> On 9/24/2014 2:21 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>
>> Anyway, this is a dumb argument as I doubt anyone will really want to
>> take the time to write a Netflix plugin like I proposed anyway... or if
>> they do write it they will soon tire of maintaining it.  I was only
>> trying to propose, what I thought, a good way to take advantage of the
>> new Linux compatilbility to add Netflix support to mythtv.
>>

> Ultimately, it depends on EME. EME can be operated in one of two ways. The
> CDM can decrypt and directly render the content, in which case we're right
> back where we were with flash. The CDM can decrypt and pass the content
> back to the browser for rendering, in which case the CDM must trust the
> browser will not simply pass the unencrypted data on to the user. This is a
> DRM tech we're talking about, after all. That means that the browser will
> have to be individually signed, and that signature hard coded into the CDM.
>
> The quick sniff test, is the experimental support for Chromium as well, or
> only Chrome?

As far as I know, the DRM is only used when actually playing a video, which
I would expect we could not do from within mythtv directly; we would need
to call Chrome for that.

What I proposed was creating a plugin that downloaded the html, but instead
of rendering it directly, instead rendered it as a mythtv menu (so it would
get themed like the rest of your mythtv screens).  Using the dynamically
generated menus you could navigate to a video you want to watch, and only
after clicking play would it spawn a Chrome instance to play back that
video.

Alternately, one could create a Chrome extension or plugin that manipulated
the page  layout and CSS to make it appear similar to mythtv, see the
FlixFix extension (
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flixfix/lmblncmaecbehbeeiepofafkgaabdfjc?hl=en).
However this method would be more difficult in the respect that you
couldn't use the mythtv themes, and instead would need to do more work to
try and make it appear seamless.