[mythtv-users] what's the state of Intel HD 4000 / 4400 decoding?

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Wed Sep 24 05:55:46 UTC 2014

tl;dr - what are the limitations on mythfrontend with HD 4000/4400 graphics?

My current frontend is a 5+ year old AOpen MiniPC with a Core2 Duo T5500
CPU and on-board Intel 945GM graphics. I watch 720p videos (x.264) and
720p live TV (MPEG-2) on it and it works just fine. It's using the
XV-BLIT renderer.

I downloaded some 1080p test clips and some of those did max out the CPU
(frames were dropped). Still, our live TV in Australia is only 720p and
playing 1080p Blu-ray rips isn't a priority.

Now for other reasons I'm considering building a new frontend and am
tempted by one of the small NUC / Brix / Chromebox systems, which have
either Intel HD 4000 (Celeron) or 4400 (i3+) graphics in them. There
seems to be a mix of information online as to whether this works ok, or
perhaps it's ok except live TV, and only limited deinterlacing..
Presumably they couldn't be any worse than my 5 year old 945GM setup.

Thanks
Hamish