[mythtv-users] Linhes Install with RAID 0 Software Array (Fakeraid)

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Mon Sep 22 20:21:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Saul A. Peebsen <jaglover at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:40:40 -0600
> scott at tbwifi.ca wrote:
>
> > HI, I am trying to install Linhes on a system with a RAID 0 software
> > RAID array.   I am able to start xterm from the installer and
> > initialize the array using:
> >
> > # modprobe dm_mod
> > # dmraid -ay
> >
> > It is recognized, but now I don’t know how to restart the installer
> > and ensure that it sets up the kernel properly in the boot loader to
> > recognize the array in the future.
> >
> > Any tips?  I’m new to Linhes / Archlinux coming from Mandriva 2008.
>
> Say no to fakeraid http://skrypuch.com/raid/
>
> The only excuse to use fakeraid is dual boot.
>
> I gather he really means software raid, not fakeraid (but you're correct
about saying no to fakeraid). However, the valid use cases for RAID 0 are
pretty slim, and it really doesn't make sense for a mythtv system. Much
better to use MythTV's storage groups as someone else mentioned, where a
single failure means you only lose the data/recordings on that device, not
all the data on your entire array as you would with a RAID 0.

Karl