[mythtv-users] Netflix coming to MythTV native - no more wine/windows?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 19:34:52 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> What would be particularly nice would be creating a plugin that would parse
>> the HTML on the netflix site .....
>
> Of course, this violates the TOS (scrapping explicitly
> mentioned) of the NetFlix site.
>
> And NetFlix is in progress to removing the developer API
> functionality that provided a previously supported method
> (to be shut down November 2014) for those with a
> developer account.
>
> So, like most other platforms, one is likely at best to
> see a "NetFlix" button that places one into the NetFlix
> experience.
>
> But you are free to dream of a different world, where
> content providers do not control the horizontal, and
> do not control the vertical.....

The real solution here for me will no doubt remain:  Take you're money
elsewhere.

I'd like to be able to use NetFlix as much as anyone, but I refuse to
jump through hoops to work around policies I find reprehensible.  I
just tend to view that as telling them that it's ok when it's anything
but...just as I refuse to use Wine to get to iTunes, when they *could*
be selling me songs requiring nothing but my browser.  That's the
reason I use OTA only (which I know isn't an option for many).

The whole content industry has their head up their ass...that's the real issue.

Tom