[mythtv-users] Dutch Guide Info

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 22:57:41 UTC 2014

Split off from: UK: Strictly Come Dancing E1S12, looks like a dupe

Hoi Karl,

Friday, September 19, 2014, 8:25:18 AM, you wrote:

>>> Ouch, so basically each and every guide out there is illegal.
>> Only if it is further in the future then four days. Or if it's one of
>> those players. For supplying the info they get the right to publish
>> earlier.

> So someone needs to start an educational group to broadcast tv and join
> NPO :) e.g. "mythtv.nl" or "Blender TV". You will only get very little
> airtime, but are then permitted to offer guide data further into the
> future?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands_Public_Broadcasting#Other

I don't think it would be easy to qualify. You have to fill in a
social or cultural need, as seen by the comity. I don't think
providing good guide data qualifies.

>>> No one wants data from the existing guide providers, so that's not a
>>> problem if they don't share anything.
>> Those players are the one broadcasting. We have about ten national
>> public tv organisations together broadcasting on the three public
>> channels. Plus as much local ones broadcasting locally plus a few
>> commercial ones on the satalite. I said it is complicated!

> Just as it is in all other countries :) But that's one of the reasons
> that a local knowledge about the local tv market is useful if you want
> to provide a guide feed. Just add the NPO channels with 2-3 days and
> the rest with the usual 2-6 weeks.

>> I neither know perl. I know shell scripting, VB and SQL good and a little
>> from a few others.

> If you would like a more open guide feed then there is other stuff that
> needs to be done, like finding good TV Station contact details.

> Regards,
> Karl

As said I have been thinking about how it good be bettered. In essence
all info now is one way or the other coming from http://www.tvgids.nl,
just as the present grabber and teletext. There is one other grabber
that I am aware of written in Ruby, that gets his data of the online
guide from I think the biggest cable provider here (UPC). But as I
read, it's even less up to date. The only possible advantage being
that it provides more channels.
I don't know anybody in the media-landscape that would give me an
entrance. Also I don't know if they would be so eager to participate.
The main reason the data on http://www.tvgids.nl is so incomplete is
because the different broadcasters are sloppy in their info. I guess
it doesn't have their priority.
They only way I see to get better info. is by getting it of the sites
from all the different channels. But that would be a huge task, both
to create and to maintain. I think the info about channels other then
their own all comes from http://www.tvgids.nl.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven