[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect Changes

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Sep 19 17:04:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Recording rules (going forward) may use the chanid  if you have any 'This
> Channel' selections. That is effectively, the only place where chanid is a
> selectable usable choice for the user (even though the actual chanid is
> never visible to the user).

I believe the recording rules use the callsign, not the chanid or channum
or xmltvid.

> When you add new channels it may reuse
>> chanid's previously in use, basically scrambling the channel ids on
>> every recorded program.
>>

> How could it 'scramble' the chanid's? Once the program has been recorded,
> mythtv only retains the information for informational purposes. You may
> want to re-record a previously recorded program if you can see that it was
> recorded as SD, but is now available as HD.

Basically the chanid is stored with the recorded program, and deleting the
video source loses that link. If you delete ALL video sources, then
re-creating the video source is likely to re-use chanids and they may not
be the same as before. This matters to me because I have a number of movies
that I've recorded on "normal" channels and I wrote a script which tells me
when the movies are re-airing on comm free channels so I can schedule them
to re-record. If myth had stored the xmltvid or even the callsign with the
recording it could have a chance of matching them up after re-creating
video sources but that's not how it's set up, so it's left with broken
foreign keys.

So matching chanid's *exactly* what you want to do. You want to re-use the
> chanids so that it is seamless and the old programs/channels match the new
> programs.
> ( That is for our convenience: mythtv does not care. If you used to have
> Time-Warner and now have Comcast, the fact that the old channel 'not longer
> exists' is irrelevant to your present and on-going use.
>
> If you 'Delete All Video Sources' in mythtv-setup you can then (re)create
> them in the sd-utility, If you do so in the same order, the chanid's will
> be replicated.

Hopefully...

Karl