[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 status check, or alternatives

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:42:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Ken Truesdale <kentruesdale at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may be a bit off topic but is anyone aware of where the original
> Hauppauge HD PVR Linux driver came from?  Maybe the source of that driver
> could be persuaded by a Kickstarter to try a driver for HD PVR 2!?

I believe we do know, but it may not really be relevant
(except for the fact that those that enjoy reverse
engineering devices are a different breed).  As you may
(or may not) know, the gen 2 product uses substantially
different components.  There is little (nothing?) to gain
by looking at existing codes, or the dev himself.  It
is just new work.

Hauppauge has lately formally contracted with kernellabs
for Linux support for their new devices (if they believe
there is a business value in Linux support).  Since you want
future support for manufacturing component changes(*), you
really want to get Hauppauge to take ownership.    It is also
much cheaper (engineering wise) to be able to avoid having
to reverse engineer the device by having the manufacturer
on-board who can provide design, chip data/errata/software
and devices can can be destroyed (by accident) if you poke
the wrong bits into the wrong registers.  I would expect that
your lawyer could work with Hauppauge to provide out a
funding estimate, and then you can arrange to pay them
(via kickstarter, or your "419" windfall) to pay for kernellabs
(or, whomever else they choose) to do the work.  Let
us know how your lawyer is doing (Hauppauge corporate
contacts are available on their web site).

Lastly, one might want to consider instead writing the
driver for the new HD-PVR rocket rather than the HD-PVR2
(although I do not know (or care) enough about them
to know what the differences are).

Gary

(*) Ask all those that are getting "new gen" xxx5 products
with the new decoder chip (stealth upgrades too, they
come in the old boxes).  Currently no support in Linux
(although Hauppauge is paying kernellabs to update the
drivers, because they have taken ownership).