[mythtv-users] Problem with storage directory on 2nd HDD

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Sep 18 14:50:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Never mind. I just changed the mount point to /var/lib/mythtv/recordings
>> and it's working ok. Curious what the problem was though.
>>

> You really should change the mount point to /var/lib/mythtv  and once
> mounted, create a /recordings directory on the drive.
>
> This way, if the drive goes offline, there is no
> /var/lib/mythtv/recordings directory for mythtv to write to, causing mythtv
> to use a different drive, or fail recordings altogether... which is a good
> thing.
>
> If you leave it as you have it configured, and the drive goes offline or
> fails to mount, your recordings will go to the wrong drive, potentially
> filling the drive and causing all kinds of nasty system issues.
>  Additionally, recordings that occur while the drive is offline, will not
> be accessible when it is mounted again.
>
> Put another way, the recommendation is NOT to write to the mount point,
> but to a directory on the drive mounted there.

Actually, rather than mounting at /var/lib/mythtv... you should create a
mount point there... like /var/lib/mythtv/disk1.  Then once you mount the
drive create /var/lib/mythtv/disk1/recordings.

I forgot that /var/lib/mythtv is used for other things by default (I don't
use that directory in my setup) and  you may not want that all on a
separate file system.