[mythtv-users] HD PVR 2 status check, or alternatives

Ken Truesdale kentruesdale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 23:35:58 UTC 2014

Last fall there was a discussion about how there was no Linux support for
the HD PVR 2.  I haven't seen anything since and the wiki still says there
is no support.  But I thought it'd be worth an e-mail to see if anyone was
aware of any more recent developments.  Or anticipated developments.

The goal is HBO (etc) recording capability.  I know the HD PVR will do it
but I'd rather go with HDMI connections.  (The HDCP issue is not a concern
for reasons previously discussed here.)  Still, if there is no Linux support
for the HD PVR 2, I suppose component connections is better than trying to
use the Comcast DVR.  Are people generally happy with the quality of the
recording from the component connections?  Or if anyone has alternate
suggestions for capture hardware, I'd be interested in those too.  Thanks!

(Comcast is provider; current capture is done through Ceton 4-PCI for
Comcast & HDHR original for OTA)

Ken.